Sunday, September 25, 2016

919 - Marking Time



Marking Time

It’s early.
The dull glow
Of square numbers,
Greenish,
Wash over the room.
It is primed and set.

Periodically
The deep chimes
Of the serious
Square, plain mantle clock.

The lighter,
More tuneful
Chimes
Of the overly ornate
French clock,
(Turned sideways,
because it wont run
facing forward.)
Follow.

Outside,
In the dim light,
A magpie
Runs though its chords.
Over and over.

I listen to the magpie,
I count the chimes,
But I obey the 
Alarm.
.
---
© J Cosmo Newbery 2016
---

Print this post

3 comments:

  1. Another 'overclocked' household. Fortunately I rarely need the alarm these days. And am my partner's alarm. In too many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! The thing I notice most at my parents' house is the ticking of all sorts of clocks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were retired?

    ReplyDelete

You've come this far - thank you.
Take your time, look around,
There is lots to see.